Scheme for Pension and Medical Aid to Artistes 2020 (Eligibility, Application Form, Amount, Documents)
India has a rich culture and heritage. The central government takes the necessary steps to restore these aspects. These impart a distinct character to the country. However, the celebrated artists, associated with the cultural fields, work relentlessly to maintain the glory of our nation. But most of these artists suffer from abject poverty once they are no longer associated with the field. The Indian government had implemented various pension and financial assistance projects for these artists. The government has recently announced the Scheme for Pension and Medical Aid to Artistes. Under this scheme, the beneficiaries will receive monetary grant from the authority to meet their medical expenses. If you want to gather more information about this program, then read this article.
Launch details of the scheme
Name of the scheme
Scheme for Pension and Medical Aid to Artistes
Prahlad Singh Patel
Date of announcement
Date of implementation
Aged and needy artists
Ministry of Culture
Key features of the scheme
- Betterment of the artists – The central authority has announced the scheme with the aim of bettering the social and financial status of the poor artists, who have contributed towards the development of art.
- Financial security – The operation of this new scheme will provide financial security to the artists.
- Regular pension – After the implementation of this financial assistance program, the needy artists will be able to receive a regular pension from the central government.
- Meeting medical expenses – The beneficiary will be able to utilize the money for meeting his/her medical expenses.
- Pension amount – The scheme draft states that every beneficiary will receive Rs. 4000 as pension from the central government.
- Central-state contribution – The Cultural Minister of India also mentioned that the central government will contribute Rs. 3500 for this pension scheme. The remaining Rs. 500 will be contributed by the respective state or Union Territory authority.
- Frequency of payment – Every beneficiary will obtain the pension on a monthly basis.
- Mode of payment – To maintain transparency in the benefit distribution process, the central government has decided that the pension amount will be deposited in the bank account of the respective beneficiary.
- Transfer of pension – The minister also stated that the primary beneficiary can transfer the pension to his/her spouse. It will come in affect after the death of the main beneficiary. For this, the beneficiary will have to fill in and submit a consent form, highlighting the details of the spouse.
Eligibility for the applicants
- Resident of India – The applicant must be a legal citizen of the country to avail the perks of this scheme.
- Must be associated with art – The scheme will allow the participation of those candidates, which have contributed to any field of art significantly.
- Age requirement – The age of the artist must not be less than 60 years.
- Income criterion – It has been mentioned that only those applicants can register for the scheme, which do not have a monthly income that exceeds Rs. 4000 mark. Thus, the annual income of the applicant must not be more than Rs. 48,000.
- Bank account – The applicant must have an active bank account in any government or private bank.
Documents necessary for application
- Residential documents – Applicants, which fail to provide residential certificates, will be barred from obtaining the pension, as promised under the scheme.
- Identification documents – A photocopy of the Aadhar Card and ration card must be attached with the enrollment document.
- Age proof – The candidate needs to submit a document that highlights the present age of the person.
- Income certificate – The applicant must attach a copy of the annual income certificate with the registration form.
- Certificate from cultural department – The applicants must possess such documents, which can support their claims of being associated with art. The certificates, issued by the central or state cultural associations will be taken in consideration during the selection of beneficiaries.
- Details of the bank account – A photocopy of the first page of the account passbook must be attached with the application form.
How to obtain registration form and enroll?
The Cultural Minister of India has recently announced the scheme. He has not highlighted any date for the official implementation of this pension project. Apart from this, the registration process is yet to be announced. Experts estimate that the artists will be able to apply for the scheme via offline process. The applications must be submitted to the State Cultural Department. From there, the documents will be screened and forwarded to the Cultural Ministry of India. The final selection of the beneficiaries will be made by a recognized committee.
The implementation of this project will offer financial respite to the aged and needy artists. They will no longer have to depend on another person for financial support. The central government will make sure that the project becomes operational as soon as possible. Such schemes encourage young artists to pursue their art, and make the country proud.
Other links –