National Overseas Scholarship Scheme for Scheduled Tribe Students 2019-20 [Eligibility Criteria, Online Application Form Process]
India has developed a lot in the academic sector. There is no shortage of great universities in the country. Students, from other countries, aspire to be a part of these educational institutes. But some India students want to continue their higher education in foreign universities. Candidate, from wealthy families, can bear the expenses. It is not valid for candidates who do not come from affluent households. The central government helps some meritorious ST students each year under the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme. Here is a detailed report on the various features of the scheme. The article also sheds light on the eligibility and registration process.
|Name of the scheme
|National Overseas Scholarship Scheme
|Date of announcement
|2016 – 2017
|Ministry of Tribal Affairs
Key features of the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme
- Academic development – Most of the meritorious students, coming from the schedule tribe backgrounds, fail to arrange enough money for meeting their educational expenses. If they can prove their eligibility, the central government will pay for their education. It ensures the development of the worthy poor candidates.
- Number of beneficiaries – During the final announcement of the scheme, the minister had declared that this scholarship scheme would give this opportunity to as many as 20 students every year.
- Reservation for female scholars – It has been stated in the scheme draft that 30% of all the seats, will be reserved for girls. This means that a total of 6 seats will be reserved for female applicants only.
- Full fee payment – All the selected beneficiaries of this scheme will be able to study in foreign colleges and universities, without worrying about the enormous expenses. From paying the full tuition fee to paying for the scholar’s insurance policies, all these expenses will be met by the central government.
- Scholarship duration – The central government will fund the scholars until they finish their higher education course. On average, post-doctorate research will take around one and a half years. Applicants who are opting for Ph. D courses will be able to finish their course in four years. However, applicants, who are pursuing their master degree courses, will require anything between one and three years to complete their studies. The time duration for such candidates will depend on the selected university and program.
- Maintenance allowance – Scholars who travel to foreign countries, to attain higher education, will need money to pay for their food, shelter, and other requirements. The scholars, going to the US will acquire a maintenance stipend of US$ 15,400. If the scholar travels to pursue his/her higher education in the UK, then he/she will receive UK£ 9,900 on a yearly basis.
- Funds for meeting other requirements – Additionally, the meritorious applicants, who get the opportunity to study in foreign universities, will also attain extra financial assistance to purchase books and equipment, which are necessary for the completion of their academic courses. If the scholar is studying in any US-based university, then he/she will receive US$ 1532. If the scholar takes admission in an UK-based university, then he/she will receive UK£ 1116.
Eligibility and documents necessary for National Overseas Scholarship Scheme application
- Residential criterion – This project will only provide the scholarship money to applicants who have been staying and studying in India permanently, before applying for the benefits. There are no extra points for guessing that during preliminary application, residential and education institute’s documents will be required.
- For ST applicants only – Another mandatory requirement, to attain the benefits of this project is to belong to any of the recognized tribal communities. Only schedule tribe members will attain the academic scholarship. Producing the ST certificate is necessary if the applicant wants to strengthen his/her claims.
- One applicant from every family – The central government wants to ensure that more and more ST meritorious applicants get the benefits. Thus, every year, one eligible student, from one family can apply. If there is another applicant, from the same family, who also has the necessary eligibilities, he/she must till the next year’s application process.
- Income-related criterion – There is a family income criterion that the applicants must meet. If they fail, then their registration will be canceled. The overall family income of the parents must not exceed the 6 lakh mark, on a yearly basis. Thus, a befitting income certificate, issued by the government office, will be required along with the enrollment form.
- Age-related requirement – If the age of the applicant is more than 35 years, then he/she will not be able to apply for this academic scholarship. Thus, an applicant needs the age verification documents, which highlights his/her age is within the permissible range.
- Not for undergraduates – This academic scholarship project is only for those candidates who have finished their graduation. It is the minimum educational qualification required to apply for the grant money. So, every applicant must attach the college documents and graduation mark sheet.
- Academic requirements – The minimum marks related requirement, necessary for the interested applicants is 55%. If the candidate wants to go out for pursuing master program, then he/she need at least 55% in graduation to apply. The same marks-related criterion is applicable for Ph.D and Post-doctorate course. In case these applicants cannot produce the necessary mark-sheets, then they will not be considered eligible to attain the scholarship benefits.
- Applicant’s admission in any foreign university – TOFEL or GRE passing applicants, who score high marks, get admission offers from foreign colleges. Some applicants, who appeared and cracked GRE and TOFEL with flying colors, may be approached by foreign universities. The universities may send an appointment letter as well, asking the candidate to join for a certain course or program. These successful candidates will get the top slots in the preference list. After the candidate’s name appears on the beneficiary list, he/she must submit the appointment/admission letters for scrutiny.
- Applicant’s score in GRE/TOFEL – It is mandatory for applicants, who desire to travel to foreign countries for pursuing their academic dreams, to pass examinations like TOFEL and GRE. These examinations play an important part in the selection and scholarship grant related matter. Frist preference will be given to applicants who have GRE or TOFEL passing certificates. The candidates will have to submit a copy of the GRE and TOFEL score card with the registration document.
- Work experience – If the applicants have any work experience, then their chances of getting the scholarship will increase. Applicants, interested for post-doctoral courses, work experience of 5 years will be ideal. Candidates, who desire to opt for Ph.D. courses, will be benefitted if they have an experience of at least 2 years in the related sector. As for the meritorious candidates, desirous of pursuing a master degree, will be benefitted in case they possess work experience of 2 years. Every applicant must attach the work experience documents for scrutiny.
How to apply for the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme ?
- The central government has made it easy for the eligible students to apply for this educational scholarship scheme conveniently via the official portal of Ministry Of Tribal Affairs.
- One can get to this website by clicking on the link https://tribal.nic.in/.
- As soon as the home page opens, applicants will see several tabs on the top of the page.
- The eighth tab, from the left, is marked as “Scholarship/Fellowship.”
- It is an auto-activated tab that means that as soon as the applicant puts the cursor on this tab, different scholarship and fellowship scheme names will appear in a drop-down box.
- Applicants must click on the second option in the drop-down box to get to the main page of the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme.
- Once the candidate lands on the scholarship page, he/she must click on the link that will open a digitized enrollment form.
- Applicants must fill it with personal and academic details. They have to upload and attach the scanned copies of the necessary documents as well.
- Once this is complete, applicants must save the registration document by clicking on the “Submit” button.
- The site will generate a registration code that will be unique for every candidate. This code will come in handy while checking the status of the application.
List of subjects and available slots for applicants
|Area of Academic Expertise
|Number of Seats Available
|Management studies, Engineering courses, Finance, and Economic studies
|Courses in Pure and Applied Science
|Medical Courses and Agricultural Studies
|Social Science and Humanities Courses
Every meritorious student must get proper opportunities to complete their academic aspirations. This scholarship scheme will give a chance to brilliant candidates with great potential to follow their academic dreams in foreign universities.
Other links –